What we cover…
This is a 3-hour session in total, and we tailor it entirely to your needs. A registered midwife will introduce herself beforehand to gain a better understanding of your needs and to organise a convenient date and time for the session. We have only ever had such positive feedback from our siblings workshops, as integrating a new little family member can present you with a whole new set of challenge….Please call or email to organise a convenient time and we promise to bring cake…
- Preparing your older child for the birth, meeting the new baby & becoming an older sibling.
- Coping with two – practical advice on managing feeding times, bathing two, getting around and nurturing a positive sibling relationship. (Includes basic sling-wearing advice for hands-free newborn care)
- Feeding information and advice (breast, bottle, expressing) – solving common feeding issues, settling and swaddling.
- What happens during labour, how this differs second time, when to call for help and what to do if birth is very quick.
- Choosing your place of birth: what’s the evidence and where is best for you?
- Coping skills for birth: water, movement, sound, aromatherapy, medical pain relief options.
- Focus on the role of the father/partner: looking after your partner, the children and yourself during the birth and early weeks.
- Reminder on early newborn care (nappies/cord care/jaundice/rashes) and postnatal recovery (wound/stitches/bleeding/pelvic floor)
- The emotional implications of a second child –looking after your family’s well-being and mental health.